Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Cravings



I have some butter and unsweetened Sharffenberger melting in a saucepan on the stovetop, which means one thing: I am over the worst of my pumpkin cravings and can now revert to my usual staple (chocolate cookies). 

Literally, on September 1, merchants here in the Upper Valley began setting out their pumpkin whoopie pies and pumpkin bread, and Dunkin' Donuts and Green Mountain coffee began brews that smelled of cinnamon and cloves (because, come on, does pumpkin coffee actually smell and taste like pumpkin?). 

I was never struck by how odd the concept of sweet pumpkin is until a couple of years ago when an Australian guest at Thanksgiving pushed her slice of pie away in horror. "It's pumpkin. It's disgusting. I don't know why you Americans put a vegetable in your dessert." 

She had a point. I would be a little nonplussed to go abroad and find pea pudding, for example, or kale cookies. But for all I know, these items do exist and are delectable.

Here in Lebanon, Maroun and I heralded pumpkin season with a pumpkin roll—something I had only dreamed about until I looked up the recipe on Libby's website and decided to whip one up on one of our rollicking Friday nights.

The  roll was good, but it rocked my world a little too much. I'm just too accustomed to having my icing on top of my cake, and it was just a little strange for it to be rolled up inside; it made the cake seem slightly dry. Still, it satisfied my craving, as did the chocolate chip pumpkin bread I made on the weekend, as will the King Arthur whoopie pies I'll pick up next week, and the pumpkin pie I'll bake....

Behold: the pumpkin roll.


I eat my slice on a pig plate (it reminds me not to overindulge).

Dunkin' Donuts pumpkin coffee (Not sure why I can't rotate this image. I think the coffee wants to pour.).

On Sunday, Maroun wanted to hit the Tilton outlets. I'm not a big fan of outlet shopping, but I am a fan of the Tilt'n Diner, so I was happy to tag along. I got a Banana Republic suit and a turkey dinner out of the deal.
The Tilt'n Diner was packed on Sunday afternoon. 

Later in the week, cool colleague Susan Lee took me to beautiful Sunrise Farm in Hartford, Vermont, where she has a community supported agriculture share. I can't wait to begin my own CSA share at Cedar Circle Farm in Thetford, Vermont at the end of the month.
Idyllic Sunrise Farm. 

Susan (left) selects her share of veggies at Sunrise Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment